Simple and delicious red bean ice drink is a classic Cantonese drink. Sweet and cold hong dou bing (紅豆冰) or red bean ice drink recipe is the best for a hot day!
What is red bean ice?
Red bean ice is a common drink in Hong Kong. In Cantonese, it is called hong dou bing (紅豆冰). It’s usually served in cafes and fast food restaurants in Hong Kong. Also, it is a popular summer dessert and drink.
Besides, red bean ice drinks came around the 1970s. Back then, not many people had refrigerators at home. If they wanted to drink something cold, they needed to go to a cafe where they served cold drinks. And, red bean ice was one of the popular ice drinks.
What are the ingredients for hong dou bing (紅豆冰)?
Some people like to use evaporated milk. However, I prefer coconut milk because of it’s nice coconut fragrance. Normally, people use shaved ice. To make it simple, I just use ice cubes. But, you can use crushed ice or shaved ice.
Cooking tips for how to make hong dou bing (紅豆冰):
- Use the same way to cook adzuki bean to make red bean soup. Besides, you can adjust the thickness by cooking longer or less.
- Personally, I like to use coconut milk.
- You can use shaved ice, ice cubes and crushed ice.
How to make sweet red beans?
What kind of coconut milk do you use?
I prefer AROY-D brand coconut milk because it is creamer and thicker. Also, it has a stronger coconut fragrance.
What flavor of ice cream should I use?
Vanilla ice cream is the most common flavor people use for this red bean ice drink. And, I prefer to use vanilla ice cream too! However, if you want, you can use other flavors.
Instructions for how to make red bean ice drink:
1. Put ½ cup of sweet red bean soup into a glass cup.
2. Next, put 1 cup of ice into the cup.
3. Then, pour ½ cup of coconut milk into the cup. And, put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
- STEAMED SPARERIBS WITH BLACK BEAN SAUCE
- THAI PAD KA PRAO
- HONG KONG BORSCHT SOUP
- CHINESE BROCCOLI WITH OYSTER SAUCE
Red Bean Ice