Wonton Soup (雲吞湯)
Wonton soup is kind of dumplings in Chinese cuisine. Different area of China has different ways to make wonton. Some like to put vegetable, meat and shrimp as filling. Cantonese wonton is mainly shrimp and pork. Actually, it’s very similar to dumplings or potstickers. However, wonton use different wrappers. It’s yellowish wonton wrappers and square shape. Besides, the wrappers are thinner, so they can cook through faster when you boiling them. Wonton often serves with soup or noodles soup. Beside, there are many different new fancy ways to fold or wrap wonton. In this wonton soup recipe, I show three different ways and most popular way people will wrap wonton. Hope you enjoy this family authentic wonton soup recipe.
Cooking tips for wonton soup:
Making wonton soup is very simple and not hard at all. Preparation for the filling only take around 5 minutes. The hardest part is to wrap wonton. Traditional way to wrap wonton is to make sure they have a tail just like the first method I mentioned in this recipe. Other nice and fancy ways will take a little longer to wrap them. Cantonese Hong Kong style wonton is all about shrimp and pork. The combination of shrimp and pork is a well match, especially serving with soup. In addition, make sure don’t over cook or under cook the wonton. The best way to know if it’s cook through. Wonton is done when they are floating on the top of boiling water. If you worry not cook, let it boiling for a minute before taking them out.
Wonton soup broth:
About wonton soup broth, lots of people like to make the broth with chicken, bones and boiling it for many hours. To keep it simple I normally just use chicken broth or water and add some salt to make soup to serve with wonton.
Wonton wrappers 1 pack
Green onion 2 sticks
Ground pork 1 lb
Shrimp 1 bag raw frozen shrimp (round 60-80)
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Oyster sauce 2 tablespoons
Sesame oil 1 tablespoon
White pepper 1/4 teaspoon
Garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon
Wonton soup broth:
Chicken broth 2 cups
1. Roughly chop the shrimp
2. In a bowl, put ground pork, shrimp, salt 1/4 teaspoon , oyster sauce 2 tablespoons, sesame oil 1 tablespoon, white pepper 1/4 teaspoon, garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon and mix it very well
3. There are different ways to wrap the wonton. Here are the most common ways to fold wonton.
4. The easiest and traditional way is to put a small spoon filling onto a wonton wrapper and close the end with a tail like the picture below
5. This is second way to fold wonton ( Details in the video)
6. The third way to wrap wonton like a boat
7. Boil some water in a pot. When the water is boiling, add the wonton. Let it cook until they all float on the top and make sure it’s cooked.
8. After that, put the cooked wonton into a bowl
9. Pour chicken broth and warm it up in the pot until it’s boiling.
10. Add chopped green onion, chicken broth and ready to serve.
Enjoy this simple and easy wonton soup recipe
Video Show How to Make Wonton Soup
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Comment, rating, subscribe and follow on our social media:
Do you like this post and recipe? If you find any helpful information, please consider to leave a comment and give a star rating below! Also, subscribe Oh My Food Recipes to get our new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Besides, stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you for visiting Oh My Food Recipes!
WONTON SOUP (雲吞湯)
- 1 pack Wonton wrappers
- 2 sticks Green onion
- 1 pound Ground pork
- 1 bag Shrimp frozen shrimp (small to medium size 60-80)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon White pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
WONTON SOUP BROTH:
- Roughly chop the shrimp
- In a bowl, put ground pork, shrimp, salt 1/4 teaspoon , oyster sauce 2 tablespoons, sesame oil 1 tablespoon, white pepper 1/4 teaspoon, garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon and mix it very well
- There are different ways to wrap the wontons. Here are the most common ways to fold wontons.
- The easiest and traditional way is put a small spoon filling onto a wonton wrapper and close the end with a tail like the picture below
- This is second way to fold wonton (More details in the video)
- The third way to wrap wontons like a boat
- Boil some water in a pot. When the water is boiling, add the wontons. Let it cook until they all float on the top and make sure it’s cooked.
- After that, put the cooked wonton into a bowl
- Pour chicken broth and warm up in the pot until it’s boiling.
- Add chopped green onion, chicken broth and ready to serve.