Homemade Kimchi (감 치)
Kimchi is a famous Korean cuisine. Traditionally, kimchi is made from salted and fermented vegetables with chili powder, green onion, garlic, ginger, asian pear and salted seafood. There are hundreds of different types of kimchi made with different vegetables, the most common is kimchi napa cabbage. In the past, kimchi stored underground in jars to keep cool just like a refrigerator. Also, fresh homemade kimchi store in refrigerator can last around a week or so. Hope you enjoy making this simple homemade kimchi recipe.
Moreover, kimchi is known to be a traditional Korean side dish because most Korean family and restaurants serve this side dish. Besides, it can be eaten alone, with rice or noodles. In addition, you can use it to make porridges, soups, rice cakes, stew, pancake and fried rice.
Personally, I love Asian pears because they are so sweet and juicy I planted two Asian pear trees in our backyard. We have lot of Asian pears and we cannot finish them even though we shared with friends. Therefore, I like to use Asian pear to make Kimchi in the Fall. The sweetness and acidity from Asian pears give more flavor to the kimchi. On the other hand, homemade kimchi is the best and tasty! I try to make this kimchi recipe simple. Of course, you can add more stuff like shredded radish or carrot.
Napa Cabbage 2 whole
kosher salt 1/2 cup
Fish sauce 4 tablespoons
Crushed red pepper 1/3 cup (depend if you like spicy, you can add more)
Green onion 1 bunch
Garlic 1 whole
Ginger 1 piece (around 2 tablespoons)
Asian pear 2 cups
Brown sugar 1 tablespoon
Salty shrimp 4 tablespoons
1 Wash Napa Cabbage and cut them up into chunks
2 Put Napa Cabbage into a big pot, add 1/2 cup kosher salt and mix them. Then, let it sit for an hour. After that, rise them couple times and drain excess water.
3 After, add radish, garlic, onion, ginger, Asian pears and salty shrimps in a blender. Then, blended until it smooths.
4 Cut green Onion into long pieces about an inch
5 Add fish sauce, brown sugar, red pepper into the a mixing bowl. Next, pour the mixed Asian pear sauce and green onions. Then, mix them together.
6 Add the Napa Cabbage into the mixed sauce (remember to remove excess water from the cabbage before mixing with the sauce)
7 Put them in a glass jar at a room temperature for a day to let it fermented. Then, you can refrigerate them.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
Comment, rating, subscribe and follow on our social media:
Do you like this post and recipe? If you find any helpful information, please consider to leave a comment and give a star rating below! Also, subscribe Oh My Food Recipes to get our new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Besides, stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you for visiting Oh My Food Recipes!
- 2 whole Napa Cabbages
- 1/2 cup Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 1/3 cup Crushed red pepper (depend if you like spicy, you can add more)
- 1 bunch Green onion
- 1/2 Radish
- 1 whole Garlic
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 piece Ginger (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups Asian pear
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons Salty shrimp
- Wash Napa Cabbage and cut them up into chunks
- Put Napa Cabbage into a big pot and add 1/2 cup kosher salt to let it sit for an hour, then rise them couple times and drain it
- Put radish, garlic, onion, ginger, Asian pears and salty shrimps in a blender. Blended until it smooths.
- Cut green Onion into long pieces about an inch
- Add fish sauce, brown sugar, red pepper into the a mixing bow and pour the mixed Asian pear sauce and green onions then mix them together
- Add the Napa Cabbage into the mixed sauce
- Put them in a glass jar at a room temperature for a day to let it fermented. Then, you can refrigerate them.