Crispy Teriyaki Tofu
Crispy teriyaki tofu not only it’s crispy outside, but also soft inside. Also, it tastes amazing delicious when it serves with homemade teriyaki sauce. This pan fried teriyaki tofu is great for appetizer, party food, side dish or even as a main course serve with rice. Besides, it’s an excellent vegan dish. I am going to share this crispy teriyaki tofu recipe with my cooking tips and how to make crispy tofu.
What is tofu?
Tofu is also known as bean curd. They are prepared by coagulating soy milk. Then, they are pressed into a small box and shaped a solid block with vary softness such as silken, soft, medium and firm bean curd. Moreover, tofu originated from China over 2000 years ago. Nowadays, it’s very popular in Asia and throughout the world. On the other hand, bean curd doesn’t have much flavor and it’s very plain. Therefore, it can be savory and sweet dishes. Often, they are seasoned or marinated to suit the dish and flavor. Plus, tofu absorbs flavor very well. Nutritionally, tofu is low in calories and higher in protein, iron and calcium. Thus, lot of vegetarians like to consume tofu and substitute for protein intake.
Cooking tips for crispy teriyaki tofu:
Tofu have different softness and use for different kind of dishes. For example, silken and soft tofu often just eat them with sauce or use for soup like miso soup. Personally, I like to use firm tofu for stir fried, pan fried or deep fried because they don’t break easily. In addition, if you want to make crispy tofu, the trick is to use sweet potato starch instead of corn starch or flour. As a result, it creates a nice and crispy layer. Also, I recommend to use a non-stick pan, so the tofu will not stick on the pan. Hope you enjoy this crispy teriyaki tofu dish. (This is a post for homemade teriyaki sauce.)
Firm Tofu 2 pieces
Sweet Potato Starch 1/4 cup
Green onion 1 stick
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce 2 tablespoons
Vegetable oil 4 tablespoons
1. Dry the firm tofu with paper towel
2. Diced the firm tofu into 9 small cubes
3. In a contain, put 1/4 cup sweet potato starch (It will have extra, so you can put 2 tablespoons at a time). Then, add the diced tofu and make sure all sides of tofu cover with sweet potato starch.
4. Pour oil into a non-stick pan, turn on fire medium high. Then, put the tofu and pan fried them at medium small fire.
5. Pan fried them about 1-2 minutes each sides, make sure turn the fire to medium small, so it will not burn them. Until, it turns golden yellow.
6. After that, put the pan fried crispy tofu on a plate and pour homemade teriyaki sauce over and topping with some green onion.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
- MAPO TOFU (麻婆豆腐)
- BRAISED CHINESE MUSHROOMS
- GARLIC CHILI SHRIMP
- STIR FRIED GARLIC CHIVES & EGGS
- MUSHROOM CHICKEN
- TOMATOES & EGGS (蕃茄炒蛋)
- STEAMED PORK SPARERIBS WITH BLACK BEAN SAUCE (豉汁蒸排骨）
- THAI STYLE GROUND PORK AND EGG WITH RICE (PAD KA PRAO)
- THAI STYLE GREEN CURRY
- LOCO MOCO (HAWAIIAN CUISINE)
- BAKED PORK CHOPS AND RICE –HONG KONG STYLE (港式豬扒焗飯)
- BEEF AND BROCCOLI (西蘭花牛肉)
Comment, rating, subscribe and follow on our social media:
Do you like this post and recipe? If you find any helpful information, please consider to leave a comment and give a star rating below! Also, subscribe Oh My Food Recipes to get our new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Besides, stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you for visiting Oh My Food Recipes!
Crispy Teriyaki Tofu
- 2 pieces Firm Tofu
- 1/4 cup Sweet Potato Starch
- 1 stick Green onion
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- Dry the firm tofu with paper towel
- Diced the firm tofu into 9 small cubes
- In a contain, put 1/4 cup sweet potato starch (It will have extra, so you can put 2 tablespoons at a time). Then, add the diced tofu and make sure all sides of tofu cover with sweet potato starch.
- Pour oil into a non-stick pan, turn on fire medium high. Then, put the tofu and pan fried them at medium small fire.
- Pan fried them about 1-2 minutes each sides, make sure turn the fire to medium small, so it will not burn them. Until, it turns golden yellow.
- After that, put the pan fried crispy tofu on a plate and pour homemade teriyaki sauce over and topping with some green onion.