Cheung Fun 0r Steamed Rice Noodle Rolls (腸粉)
Rice noodle roll is also called cheung fun (腸粉) or steamed rice roll. It is a Cantonese dish from southern China and Hong Kong. Often, it served as a snack, small meal or as a dim sum item. Also, it is a thin and flat rice noodles that roll up. Cheung fun mainly made from rice flour. Some cheung fun will add filling like shrimp, beef, vegetables, or other ingredients. Normally, sauce is added before serving. This rice noodle rolls recipe is the simple and plain one without filling.
How to made cheung fun?
In commercial restaurant setting, flour mixture pour into a special flat pan with holes, similar to a flat colander, that are lined with a steam permeable cloth. Then, flour mixture steam in the pan from the bottom and produce rectangle rice noodle sheets. The noodle is very thin and it has gummy texture. Once the flour mixture is set, the entire freshly steamed noodle form onto the cloth. Therefore, it needs to be scraped off with a scraper. After that, usually put it on a metal table surface and roll it. However, homemade version we use a cake pan to make it and roll them afterwards.
Sauce for rice noodle roll:
Rice noodle rolls do not have flavor. In fact, the flavor mainly comes from the sauce. Normally, rice noodle rolls serve with sweetened soy sauce and hoisin sauce. Some people like to add peanut butter sauce, chili sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds as well.
Cooking tips for cheung fun or rice noodle roll:
Since we don’t have commercial style steamer to make cheung fun at home. The simplest way to make it is to use a cake pan. A square cake pan is ideal, if you don’t have it, then use a regular circle one works fine too. Also, make sure don’t put too much flour mixture into the pan. This is because you want to make the rice noodles very thin. When it rolls up, it’s not too thick and big.
Besides, every time before pouring the mixture into the cake pan for steaming, make sure to mix the flour mixture very well. In addition, I use 3 layers stainless steel steamer that can steam 3 rolls at the same time.
Rice noodle roll is one of my favorite dim sum dishes. When I was a little kid, I ate them for breakfast. I love the sauce because of the sweetness. My kids love them too! It’s very simple and easy to make them at home. Here is the recipe and hope you enjoy it as well.
Rice flour 1 cup
Corn starch 1 teaspoon
Sweet potato powder 1 teaspoon
Wheat starch 1 teaspoon
Water 2 cups + 3 teaspoons
Soy sauce 2 teaspoons
Hoisin sauce 2 tablespoons
Sesame oil 2 teaspoons
(If you love more sauce double it or add to your taste)
Sesame seeds sprinkle
1. Put rice flour, sweet potato powder, wheat starch, corn starch and water in a mixing bowl. Then, mix it well.
2. Grease a baking pan, (I use a circle cake pan, if you have square cake pan will be much better.) put the rice mixture into the cake pan and well cover the pan. Make sure you stir the mixture very well every time before putting into a cake pan
3. Steam it for 2 minutes and roll it up.
4. Cut the rice rolls into small pieces, add sauce, sesame oil and sesame
You May Also Like these Noodles Recipes:
- BEEF CHOW FUN (乾炒牛河)
- BRAISED BEEF HO FUN NOODLE SOUP (牛腩河)
- JAPCHAE (잡채)
- CHICKEN YI MEIN NOODLES
- CANTONESE SOY SAUCE PAN FRIED NOODLES
- HOMEMADE RICE NOODLES
- HOMEMADE CHOW MEIN STIR FRIED NOODLES
- PHO VIETNAMESE NOODLE SOUP
- HOMEMADE RAMEN NOODLES
Comment, rating, subscribe and follow on our social media:
Do you like this post and recipe? If you find any helpful information, please consider to leave a comment and give a star rating below! Also, subscribe Oh My Food Recipes to get our new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Besides, stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you for visiting Oh My Food Recipes!
Rice noodle roll (Cheung fun 腸粉)
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 1 teaspoon Corn starch
- 1 teaspoon Sweet potato powder
- 1 teaspoon Wheat starch
- 2 cups+3 teaspoons Water
- 2 teaspoons Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sesame oil
- (If you love more sauce double it or add to your taste)
- sprinkle Sesame seeds
- Put rice flour, sweet potato powder, wheat starch, corn starch and water in a mixing bowl. Then, mix it well.
- Grease a baking pan, (I use a circle cake pan, if you have square cake pan will be much better.) put the rice mixture into the cake pan and well cover the pan. Make sure you stir the mixture very well every time before putting into a cake pan
- Steam it for 2 minutes and roll it up.
- Cut the rice rolls into small pieces, add sauce, sesame oil and sesame