Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup (Samgyetang) 삼계탕 蔘鷄湯
Korean ginseng chicken soup (samgyetang) is very famous soup among Korean restaurants. Not only the soup tastes fantastic, but also the chicken is soft and juicy. Also, it’s the best to make it during snowy days that can warm your whole body and boost your immunity to prevent sickness. This is an instant pot Korean ginseng chicken soup recipe and hope you like it as well.
Korean ginseng chicken soup often use fresh ginseng. In contrast, Chinese tradition chicken ginseng soup like to use dry ginseng. I like to make Korean ginseng chicken soup (samgyetang) during winter because it helps to keep your cold hands and feet warm.
What is ginseng?
Ginseng is a herb plant that boost immune system and help restore wellness. Over centuries, ginseng has been used for Chinese and Korean traditional medicine. Besides, ginseng is found in North America and eastern Asia mostly in northern China and Korea. In general, ginseng grow in cooler climates. Ginseng can be very expensive, especially for those are longer and older ones.
Cooking tips for Korean ginseng chicken soup (samgyetang):
As I mentioned earlier, this recipe I used instant pot to make it. First of all, clean and wash the chicken very well include inside because will put stuffing inside. Second, soak the glutinous rice around an hour or two before using it. Third, peel chestnuts and set a side. After that, stuff soaked glutinous rice and garlic into the chicken. Then, use a toothpick to stitch the end of chicken to prevent stuffing come out. Next put the chicken, dates, fresh ginseng, and chestnuts into the instant pot and add water. Then, put manual button and adjust time for 45 minutes and natural release. If you choose to use top stove method just add 2 more cups of water and simmering for at least 2-2.5 hours. Enjoy this ginseng chicken soup recipe!
Corn hen chicken 1
Glutinous rice 3 tablespoon
Jujube 3 (Chinese dates)
Water 6 cups
Garlic 4 cloves
Ginger 3 slices
Salt to your taste
Instructions for ginseng soup instant Pot:
1. Soak glutinous rice in water for a couple hour until it swells up a little bit then drain the water and set it aside.
2. Risen the chicken and dry it. Stuffed the soaked glutinous rice and garlic into the Chicken and use a toothpick to stitches the end
3. Peel off chestnuts until you see the yellow part
4. Put the chicken, ginseng, jujube, ginger and chestnut into a pot. Then, add 6 cups of water
5. Cover the lid and close the vent and push manual button on instant pot adjust time for 50 minutes and natural release
6. Skimming the fat (you can buy this type of strainer from Amazon) salt to your taste.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
- KIMCHI TOFU SOUP (SUNDUBU-JJIGAE)
- DRIED BOK CHOY SOUP (菜乾湯)
- LOTUS ROOT AND PORK BONE SOUP (蓮藕豬骨湯)
- GREEN RADISH CARROT PORK BONE SOUP (青紅蘿蔔豬骨湯)
- HOT AND SOUR SOUP (酸辣湯)
- TOMATO & POTATO PORK BONE SOUP (蕃茄薯仔豬骨湯)
- SWEET CORN CARROT PORK BONE SOUP
- WATERCRESS PORK BONES DATES SOUP (西洋菜豬骨蜜棗湯）
Comment, rating, subscribe and follow on our social media:
Do you like this post and recipe? If you find any helpful information, please consider to leave a comment and give a star rating below! Also, subscribe Oh My Food Recipes to get our new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Besides, stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all the latest updates. Thank you for visiting Oh My Food Recipes!
KOREAN STYLE GINSENG CHICKEN SOUP
- 1 Corn hen chicken
- 2 Ginsengs
- 3 tablespoons Glutinous rice
- 3 pieces Jujube (Chinese dates)
- 3 Chestnuts
- 6 cups Water
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 3 slices Ginger
- Salt to your taste
- Soak glutinous rice in water for a couple hour until it swells up a little bit then drain the water and set it aside.
- Risen the chicken and dry it. Stuffed the soaked glutinous rice and garlic into the Chicken and use a toothpick to stitches the end
- Peel off chestnuts until you see the yellow part
- Put the chicken, ginseng, jujube, ginger and chestnut into a pot. Then, add 6 cups of water
- Cover the lid and close the vent and push manual button on instant pot adjust time for 50 minutes and natural release
- Skimming the fat (you can buy this type of strainer from Amazon) salt to your taste.