1. Wash and cut green onion into pieces.
2. Wash and cut red Fresno chili peppers into slices. Try to remove as much seed as you can, so it won't be too spicy.
3. Put cake flour into a container.
4. Put potato starch, cornstarch, baking powder into the container. Then, mix it well.
5. Crack egg into the flour mixture.
6. After that, add water and oil into the flour mixture.
7. Mix it very well and smooth it out. Make sure there are no clumps.
8. Wash and rinse the defrosted pre-cut calamari into a big bowl.
9. Pour water into a pot and turn on medium high fire.
10. When the water is boiling, pour the hot boiling water into the bowl with calamari in step 8 immediately. Let it soak for 10 seconds.
11. Then, drain the water and dry the squid on a plate with paper towels very well.
12. Add salt and white pepper on the plate with dry squid from step 11. Then, mix it well.
13. After that, put the seasoned squid from step 12 into the batter mixture step 7 and mix it well. Make sure the squid are covered with batter.
14. The following step, pour oil into the wok and turn on a small fire.
15. Insert wooden chopsticks into the oil. If you see air bubbles around it, it is a good indication that the oil is hot enough for deep frying.
16. Slowly put the battered squid from step 13 into the oil and let it deep fry both sides golden brown.
17. Use a strainer to take out the golden brown deep fry calamari.
18. Continue deep fry the rest of the calamari and put them on a plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
19. Pour oil into the wok and turn on medium small fire.
20. Put the cut red chili pepper from step 2 into the wok and stir fry it a little bit.
21. After, add fried shallots into the wok. Then, stir fry them a little bit.
22. Next, add salt and black pepper and stir fry them a little bit.
23. Turn off the fire, add the cut green onion from step 1 into the wok and use the remaining heat to stir fry them a little bit.
24. Lastly, add the deep fried calamari from step 18 into the wok, toss, mix the seasoning and ready to serve.