Sweet Chili Sauce
Sweet chili sauce is also called Thai sweet chili sauce. Not only sweet chili sauce is popular and common in Thai cuisines, but also around south East Asian and Western.
- 1 large size Bell pepper
- 2-3 Thai chilis (I like to use 2)
- 10 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup White vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons Tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons Water
Wash and cut red bell pepper into chunks
Peel and wash garlic cloves
Next, Thai chilis, garlic, red bell pepper and 1/2 cup of water into a mixing bowl and blend it.
Blend the mixture until it’s little chunks, don’t have to be fine and smooth.
After that, pour the mixture into a pot and turn on medium high fire until it’s boiling. Then, add 1 cup of sugar, 1.5 teaspoon of salt, and 3/4 cup of white vinegar. Stir and mix it well.
Turn the fire to small and simmering for 10-15 minutes. Then, add tapioca mixture (tapioca starch 1.5 tablespoons and water 2 tablespoons mix well) to thicken the sauce.
Cooking tips for sweet chili sauce recipe:
- Peel garlic and cut red bell pepper into chunks.
- Then, put garlic, red bell pepper, water and Thai chilis into a tall container. I like to use a pitcher because the stuff won’t come out when you blend it. But, in the video I used a mixing bowl because it is easy to see.
- Blend until it has little chunks don’t have to be very fine and smooth.
- Add sugar, salt, white vinegar and simmering the sauce for 10-15 minutes.
- I like to use tapioca starch to thicken the sauce because it gives a clear and transparent color. The sauce will be thicker when it cools down. However, you can use corn starch it works ok.
- Since Thai chili is very hot, I only use 2-3 chilis. You can add more or less depends on how hot you want the sauce. I like to use two Thai chilis because it is not too hot and has great spicy flavor.
Calories: 31kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 117mg | Potassium: 12mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 127IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg