Roast Duck is predominant in Chinese cuisine and Peking duck is very famous Chinese dish. This recipe I am going to share how to roast a duck at home and this recipe is Asian Chinese style roast duck because I use Asian spices to marinate the duck. Chinese style roast duck often serve with dipping sauce such as plum sauce, salt or hoisin sauce.
- 1 Whole duck around 5.5 lbs
- ½ cup Soy sauce
- ½ cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dark soy sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 2 cloves Garlic grind
- 3 slices Ginger grind
- 3 pieces Anise
- 3 pieces Clove
- ⅛ teaspoon Five spices
In a mixing bowl, add marinate sauce: soy sauce ½ cup, hoisin sauce ½ cup, dark soy sauce 2 tablespoons, water 1 cup, garlic 2 cloves grind, ginger 3 slices grind, anise 3, clove 3, and five spices ⅛ teaspoon.
Then, wash and clean the duck very well, remove all the gut and organs.
After that, put the whole duck into the marinated sauce for few hours (the best result is overnight). Try to flip the other side after a few hours.
Preheated the oven for 375 F. Then, put the duck on a cake stand like a bundt cake mold to roast a chicken from previous recipe.
Wrap the wings with foil to prevent the wings get burn. Bake the duck at 375 F for an hour. Next, remove the foil and change the temperature to 425 F and bake 15-20 minutes until it reaches 165 internal temperature and nice golden brown.
Rest for 10 minutes and chop it into pieces.
Cooking tips for how to roast a duck:
- Clean the duck very well and take out all the guts and organs.
- Marinated the duck at least few hours. The best result is to marinate the whole duck over night. Remember to flip the other side and marinated it after a few hours.
- Temperature and timing are very important and crucial to roast a nice duck. If you don’t want the duck wings got burned, I recommend to use a piece of foil to wrap around the wing and bake the duck at 375 F for an hour. After that, remove the foil and increase the temperature 425 F and bake for another 15-20 minutes until the duck is golden brown and it reaches 165 F internal temperature.
Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 1122mg | Potassium: 213mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 128IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg