WONTON SOUP (雲吞湯)
Wonton soup is kind of dumplings Chinese cuisine. Different area of China has different ways to make wonton. Some like to put vegetable, meat and shrimp as filling. Cantonese wontons are mainly shrimp and pork.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
- 1 pack Wonton wrappers
- 2 sticks Green onion
- 1 pound Ground pork
- 1 bag Shrimp raw frozen (small to medium size 60-80)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon White pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
Roughly chop the shrimp
In a bowl, put ground pork, shrimp, salt 1/4 teaspoon , oyster sauce 2 tablespoons, sesame oil 1 tablespoon, white pepper 1/4 teaspoon, garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon and mix it very well
There are different ways to wrap the wontons. Here are the most common ways to fold wontons.
The easiest and traditional way is put a small spoon filling onto a wonton wrapper and close the end with a tail like the picture below
This is second way to fold wonton (More details in the video)
The third way to wrap wontons like a boat
Boil some water in a pot. When the water is boiling, add the wontons. Let it cook until they all float on the top and make sure it’s cooked.
After that, put the cooked wonton into a bowl
Pour chicken broth and warm up in the pot until it’s boiling.
Add chopped green onion, chicken broth and ready to serve.
Cooking tips for wonton soup:
- Traditional way to wrap wonton is to make sure they have a tail just like the first method I mentioned in this recipe.
- Other nice and fancy ways will take a little longer to wrap them see details in the video
- Make sure don’t over cook or under cook the wonton. The best way to know if it’s cook through. Wonton is done when they are floating on the top of boiling water. If you worry not cook, let it boiling for a minute before taking them out.
- Lots of people like to make the broth with chicken, bones and boiling it for many hours. To keep it simple, I normally just use chicken broth or water and add some salt and green onion to make soup to serve with wonton.
Serving: 10g | Calories: 267.34kcal | Carbohydrates: 26.75g | Protein: 12.35g | Fat: 11.8g | Saturated Fat: 3.9g | Cholesterol: 36.83mg | Sodium: 611.99mg | Potassium: 204.68mg | Fiber: 0.81g | Sugar: 0.01g | Vitamin A: 6.3IU | Vitamin C: 3.61mg | Calcium: 31.47mg | Iron: 2mg