Teriyaki sauce is originated from Japan. And, the word of teriyaki (照り焼き) refers a cooking method of grilling or broiling with a glaze of sauce. Traditionally, Japanese teriyaki sauce is made of soy sauce, mirin (rice wine) and sugar.
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Ginger
- 1 & 1/2 cups Soy sauce
- 1 & 3/4 cups Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon White Sesame seeds (optional)
THICKEN THE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 4 tablespoons Corn starch
Use a grater to grind 2 tablespoons of garlic.
Then, use a grater to grind 1 tablespoon of ginger.
After that, add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil into a pot and turn on fire to medium-high. Then, add grind garlic, ginger and stir fried them a little bit.
Pour soy sauce, white sugar, brown sugar and black pepper let them cook until it’s boiling. Then, turn the fire to very low and simmering for 10-15 minutes.
In the meanwhile, in a small container add 2 tablespoons of water and 4 tablespoons corn starch. (It is hard to stir the corn starch because it’s very thick. I suggest to add 2 tablespoons first and stir them well. After that, add the other 2 tablespoons and mix them well.) Remember to mix the corn starch very well before pour into the sauce. Keep stirring the sauce for a minute and wait until it’s boiling again. Then, simmering for 5 minutes. (Try to stir them in between the time.)
Lastly, add sesame seeds (this is optional) and stir them well.
Cooking tips for how to make teriyaki sauce:
- Grind ginger and garlic
- Add grind ginger, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, white sugar, black pepper and simmering for 15-20 minutes.
- Add corn starch mixture to thicken the sauce and simmering for another 5 minutes. Remember to stir the sauce a little bit when it’s simmering. Next, add sesame seeds and stir it well.
- Normally, when I use teriyaki sauce to marinated meat, I do not add corn starch. However, when I use it as a dipping sauce. Then, I will add corn starch to thicken the sauce a little bit.
Calories: 69kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 649mg | Potassium: 29mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg