Nian Gao Chinese New Year Cake
Nian gao is a traditional Chinese New Year cake that made from glutinous rice. Also, it is a symbolism of good luck to eat nian gao during Chinese new year or lunar new year.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 &1/2 cups Brown sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 1 &1/4 cups Glutinous rice flour
- 1/4 cup Wheat starch
- 1 Dried Jujube for decoration
In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 1&1/2 cups of brown sugar, 1&1/4 cups of glutinous rice flour and 1/4 cup of wheat starch. Then, mix them well.
Next, grease the cake pan with spray oil
After that, pour the mixture over the greased cake pan and use a spoon or drainer to remove excess bubbles.
Put a cup of water into instant pot pressure cooker add a stand. Cover the mixture with foil. (Before covering the foil try to mix the mixture again). Then, close the lid and vent. Push the manual button set for 30 mins and natural release.
Refrigerated Chinese new year sweet rice cake and slice them
Add some oil into a non-stick pan. Then, pan fried both sides for about 1-2 minutes at medium fire.
Cooking tips for how to make instant pot nian gao:
- In a mixing bowl, mix the ingredients very well.
- Remember to grease a cake pan
- Pour the mixture into a cake pan and remove excess bubbles
- Cover the the mixture with a foil and and cook it at high pressure for 30 minutes and natural release.
- Before covering the foil try to mix the mixture again
- Fresh steamed Chinese new year sweet rice cake is sticky and chewy, so let it cool down before slicing it. The best is to refrigerate them before slicing it and pan fried them.
Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 42mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg