Hot and Sour Soup
Hot and sour soup is originated from northern part of China. Also, Sichuan hot and sour soup is well known for spicy, sour, salty and tasty. In general, Chinese hot and sour soup usually contains ingredients such as wood ear mushrooms, bamboo shoots, tofu, and black Chinese mushrooms.
- 1 small piece Firm Tofu
- 1 small can Bamboo shoots 8oz (cup up around 1/2 cup)
- 10 small Black dry wood ear mushrooms (cut up around 1/2 cup)
- 3 medium size Dry black Chinese mushrooms (cut up around 1/2 cup)
- 1.5 tablespoons Lee Kum Kee garlic chili sauce (add spicy to your taste)
- 2.5 tablespoons Black vinegar
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- Sesame oil (optional some)
- White pepper (optional sprinkles to your taste )
- 3.5 tablespoons Corn starch
- 5 tablespoons Water
Wash and soak black Chinese mushrooms and wood ear mushrooms few hours before (black Chinese mushrooms take little longer, normally I will soak them before go to bed, so I can use them in the morning or so.)
Pour 4 cups chicken broth and 2 cups water into a pot and turn on fire to medium and high
On the other hand, cut wood ear fungus into small strips
Cut black Chinese mushrooms into small strips
Cut bamboo shoots into small strips
Cut firm tofu into small strips
When the broth is boiling, add the cut firm tofu, bamboo shoots, wood ear fungus and black mushrooms into the pot and mix them
Until it boils again, add 1.5 tablespoons of garlic chili sauce, 2.5 tablespoons of black vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Then, mix it.
At the same time, in a small container add 5 tablespoons of water and 3.5 tablespoons of corn starch and mix it well. When the soup boils again, add corn starch mixture to thicken the soup a little bit.
Sprinkle some green onions on top. Add white pepper and sesame oil if you like because this is optional.
Cooking tips for how to make vegan hot and sour soup:
- Wash and soak black Chinese mushrooms and wood ear mushrooms few hours before (black Chinese mushrooms take little longer, normally I will soak them before go to bed, so I can use them in the morning or so.)
- Remember is to add garlic chili pepper paste according to your taste or how spicy you want the soup to be. I suggest to add 1/2 tablespoons at a time.
- I use firm tofu because it's not break easily when you stir them.
Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1010mg | Potassium: 200mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 1mg