Japchae Korean Stir Fried Glass Noodles
Japchae (잡채) is a popular Korean cuisine of stir-fried glass noodles with assorted vegetables, meat then seasoned with soy sauce and sesame oil.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 16 oz Glass noodle (sweet potato noodles) dried
- 2 Carrots
- 1/2 lb Beef steak style
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Onion
- 3 sticks Green onion
- 4 pieces Dried shiitake mushroom (medium size)
- 1 bunch Spinach
- 1 Red bell pepper (large size)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetables oil (for stir fry vegetables)
- some Salt (sprinkle for stir fried vegetables)
- 1 teaspoon Roasted sesame seeds (sprinkle on top)
- 2 tablespoons Oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons Sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
Soak dried shiitake mushrooms few hours before cooking. Until it’s soft then slice it.
Slice and cut carrots, onion, red bell pepper, green onion and mushroom into strips
Slice beef into small strips add 2 tablespoons oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Brown sugar and 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil and marinated for a few minutes before cooking
Beat 2 eggs and cook like scramble eggs but make sure it’s flat like a sheet. Then cut it into strips.
Wash and soak spinach to remove dirt. Then, boil water. Put the spinach into boiling water and cook for around 2-3 mins
Drain water and rinse with cold water. Then, squeeze the cooked spinach to remove excess water add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1/8 teaspoon of salt mix the spinach and set aside.
Add some oil into non-stick pan turn fire to medium-high add onion stir fried few minutes and sprinkle some salt then set aside.
Repeat set 7 stir fried for red bell pepper, carrot, green onion (don’t over stir fried green onion) then set them aside.
Pour some vegetable oil into non-stick pan turn on medium to high fire. Then, add marinated beef stir fired a little bit and add mushroom. Cover a lid for a minute and stir fried until the beef is cooked. (Some sauce will come out from the meat and mushroom don’t discard them, add to the noodles later.)
Boil a pot of water, add glass noodles when the water is boiling and let it cook for 5-10mins until it is soft and drain water.
In a mixing bowl, put the cooked glass noodles add 4 tablespoons of sesame oil and soy sauce and mix them well (You can add more or less soy sauce to your taste). Use a scissor to cut the noodles a few times, so the noodles won’t be too long.
Add all the cooked vegetables, eggs and beef into the noodles
Mix the noodles and topping with roasted sesame seed
Cooking tips for how to make simple Korean japchae recipe:
- Soak dried shiitake mushrooms few hours before cooking until it's soft. (around 4-6 hours)
- Wash and soak the spinach very well because spinach has lots of sand
- Boil the spinach, drain the water and rinse under cold water
- Squeeze extra water from boiled spinach
- Boil noodles until it’s soft and not too chewy or too soft.
- Drain the noodles and seasoning the glass noodles in a mixing bowl.
- Remember don’t discard the sauce from cooking the beef and add the sauce to the noodles
- Always taste it and add soy sauce to your taste
- Use a scissor to cut the noodles a few times, so the noodles won't be too long
Serving: 12g | Calories: 279.86kcal | Carbohydrates: 38.09g | Protein: 6.22g | Fat: 11.53g | Saturated Fat: 3.47g | Cholesterol: 40.7mg | Sodium: 582.56mg | Potassium: 310.88mg | Fiber: 1.55g | Sugar: 2.54g | Vitamin A: 4705.35IU | Vitamin C: 21.9mg | Calcium: 54.26mg | Iron: 2.38mg